Directory of cinemas in Brighton & Hove

< Previous | Next >

Court Cinema

Court Theatre
When this photograph was taken in late 1914 the Court Cinema could proclaim 'Recognised as showing the Best Films'. The films advertised here are an early London Films production, Lawyer Quince, and a French film, Chéri-Bibi, from a story by Gaston Leroux, more famous now for Phantom of the Opera.

The Paris Cinema was still open in this view c1955 from the Pavilion gardens
Photo courtesy of Brighton & Hove Libraries' Brighton History Centre

By 1967 the Paris Cinema 'and Buttery' had been closed for some time and was about to be demolished for re-development
Photo courtesy of Brighton & Hove Libraries' Brighton History Centre

Empire Theatre of Varieties (briefly 1896)
Court Cinema (1909-1947)
occasional cinema use as
Dolphin Theatre (1947-1952)
Her Majesty's Theatre (1952-1955)
regular cinema use as
Paris Cinema (1955-1957)

16-17 New Road, Brighton
operated 1909-1957, intermittently from 1952

• The theatre had previously been Wright's New Oxford Music Hall, among other names, and was gutted by fire in 1892. The theatre was reconstructed, to a design by Charles E Clayton of Clayton & Black (see also Duke of York's), and re-named the Empire Theatre of Varieties. Its local nickname was 'Bottings'.

1896 Chard's Vitagraph has an eight-week run as part of the music hall performances.
1902 Acquired and re-named the Coliseum by Thomas Barrasford, whose northern music hall circuit (or 'tour') had expanded southwards and was now based at the Hippodrome in Middle Street.

1909 Coliseum Theatre has cinema equipment installed and becomes the Court Cinema, run by Mrs Maud Barrasford. 1,250 seats.
1926 February Picture of a fire at the theatre is the first photograph published in the local newspaper, the Evening Argus, whose offices are only two streets away.
1928 May Acquired by General Theatre Corporation (GTC).
1929 Acquired by Majestic (Brighton)
1930 January Equipped for sound (British Acoustic)
1940 June 29 Closed.
1946 Acquired by Theatre Royal Brighton (Stage Plays) Ltd.
1947 May 24 Re-opens as the Dolphin Theatre, remodelled by Morgan & Crook. 850 seats, fortnightly theatrical repertory with occasional film performances.
1952 Renamed Her Majesty's Theatre.
1953 No longer listed in Kine Year Book.
1955 April 6 Renamed Paris Continental Cinema, showing continental films, booked at the hall by Eric J Jenks.
1957 Prices 1s 6d-4s. Paris Theatre again operates as a repertory theatre.
1962 January 2 Closed (or March 1963?)
1967 Demolished. Offices now occupy the site.

Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >

Page updated 7 October 2016
© David Fisher