An artist's impression of the Gaiety at the time of its opening in 1937
The cinema after its closure. The neon-clad tower has gone and the cinema itself will soon go.
Gaiety Cinema (1937-1965)
Ace Cinema (1965-1968, 1969-1971)
Vogue Cinema (1971-1979)
Classic Cinema (1979-1980)
107-108 Lewes Road, Brighton
1937 April 24 Opened by Sir Alfred Cooper Rawson MP. Owned by Gaiety (Brighton) Ltd, designed by Frederick W Morgan. The cinema has a tower with six neon cascades standing over 50 feet high as part of the facade and is in the grounds of the Allen Arms (since renamed the Counting House). Proscenium 42ft, Westrex sound system. Car park. Price: 6d, 1s, 1s 6d and 2s.
c1940-1945 Army Kinema Corps used the cinema to provide screenings for troops stationed at the nearby Preston Barracks.
1948 Booked at Picturedrome, Eastbourne by Randolph E Richards; 1,500 seats, continuous performances from 2pm
1953 Now booked by Julian D Richards at the Picturedrome, Eastbourne
1961 Three shows daily, three changes weekly, prices 2s-3s. Cinemascope
1965 November Renamed the Ace Cinema
1968 January Use for bingo
1969 December Revived for cinema performances
1971 Renamed the Vogue Cinema; programming changed to pornography with live strip shows
1979 Renamed the Classic Cinema
1980 October closed.
• Gaiety Shop (confectionary) adjacent (109 Lewes Road) was under the same management.
• The road arrangement at the junction of Lewes Road, Bear Road, Hollingdean Road and Upper Lewes Road, created when the Sainsbury's superstore opened in 1984, is called the Vogue gyratory system in honour of the cinema during its mainly porno era—surely the only road system in the country with such a derivation.
Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >