|Star Electric Picture Palace
The Star in 1910.
The Star around 1920.
Images courtesy of Winton Collection at shorehambysea.com
Winton's Hall 1910-1914
Star Electric Picture Palace 1914-1923
Court Kinema 1924-1926
7 Church Street, Shoreham
1910 February 28 A cinematograph licence is granted to William Edward Winton, a local printer and bill-poster (next door), for a former Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel, opposite Star Cottage, known as Winton's Hall and used for concerts and lectures since 1908.
1914 July 13 Re-licensed to Arthur Hodgins, who changes the name to the Star Electric Picture Palace (also Star Theatre).
1914 October 12 Local authority changes Sunday opening hours from 20:00-22:00 to 18:30-21:00.
1920 Proprietors are Matthews Holder & Co; W G Holder is the manager when on
1920 August 28 Children from the Steyning Union Children's Home are invited to see themselves on screen.
1921 March Frederick George Ellis, proprietor of the New Kinema at Southwick, takes over the lease.
1921 September Ellis sells on the lease for £176 to Matthews Holder & Co.
1922 Re-named the Court Kinema, run by partnership of Walter Morrice (who resigns on 1 June), Ernest Edward Constable and the manager, Louis Robert Awde.
1926 March 22 Licence renewed by Frederick Beecham.
• What survives, with a much reduced facade bearing little resemblance to the cinema frontage, is the rear storage area of the Cooperative food store
Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >