Home > Cinema-by-Sea > updates
[p46, col 2] Cinema-de-Luxe was listed in the Kine Year Book 1914 as Theatre-de-Luxe with a manager called W M Borradaile.
[p50, col 2] After its closure the then Paris Cinema was offered for sale to the newly established University of Sussex for use as a creative arts centre. The offer was declined.
[p53, col 1] In the 1950s, instead of issuing tickets, the box office at the Duke of York's gave perforated metal tokens that were presented on entry to the usher, who threaded them on a string for re-use.
[p55, col 2] On 1943 February 21-27 the Imperial (pre-Essoldo) screened Gone With the Wind ('last opportunity for some considerable time to see the greatest of all film masterpieces') with 1,000 seats at 2/6 and 3/-, also at 4/- and 4/9; shows at 13:30 and 17:20.
[p59, col 1] The back door of the Grand was at 7 Middle Street.
[p59, col 2] Scenes in the film Be My Guest were shot in the Hippodrome in October-November 1964. The building was bought by the Rank Orgaisation in 1965 to become a Mecca Bingo hall, which closed in 2007.
[p62, col 1] The Phoenix Building, not National House, stands on the site of the Novelty Electric Theatre.
[p65, col 1] 1914 early: UK Kinoplasticon Ltd was registered on 8 February 1913 at an address in John Street, Bedford Row, London WC, with 75,000 shares at £1 each.
[p66, col 2] Prince's Cinema was listed in the Kine Year Book 1914 as Select Palace with a 'proprietor' called Dobson.
[p71, col 1] See reference to Houghton Rockett below.
[p97, col 1] An unknown cinematographer filmed the opening of the Brighton tramway on 25 November 1901, on the route from the Aquarium to Beaconsfield Road. The newsreel was included in the 'Biograph' programme at the Hippodrome that week.
[p120, col 1] Other locations for Be My Guest included the interior of the Hippodrome and Dome Concert Hall.
[p128, col 2] The credits for Lady Godiva Rides Again should include the female lead Pauline Stroud.
[p166, col 2] Evelyn Laye's father was indeed manager of the Palace Pier Theatre. [Confirmed by Kine Year Book 1914.]
[p175, col 2] H[oughton] Rockett, Cinematograph Theatre Proprietor, of the Royal Tierney Theatre, 64 Edward Street, residing at 134 Edward Street, had an order made against him at Brighton Bankruptcy Court on 29 April 1914 on a petition filed on 12 March 1914. An order for discharge (with the same identifying details for Rockett) was made on 24 May 1917, suspended for six months. His assets were 'not of a value equal to 10s in the pound on the amount of his unsecured liabilities'. [London Gazette 1 May 1914: 3631 and 29 June 1917: 6473]
[p175, col 2] Georges Sadoul coined the term in 1945, not 1948, which is when the English translation was published.
[p187, col 1] Brightonia Film Company was registered on 7 May 1913 with 1,000 shares of £1 each and the address at 11 Hampton Street, Brighton.
[p187, col 2] Kinemacolor was registered on 24 April 1913 with 1,000 shares of £1 each.
[p188, col 2] Williamson Film Printing Company also issued 2,500 cumulative preference shares at seven per cent.
[p194, col 2] Add Hampton Street, 11 as the registered office of the Brightonia Film Company.
[p196, col 1] Under Marine Parade, add 124 as the home of Eddie Whaley.
[p202-203] In the issue of 22 January 1913 the [Cambridge Grove] Brighton 'film factory' was advertised for sale in The Cinema for £300 ('a great bargain') or to rent at £45 a year—'comprising dark rooms, cleaning rooms, theatre, motor-driven printers and drums, camera, &c, &c. Everything is nearly new.'
More feature films shot in Brighton, not listed in the book:
The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970)
La course à l'échalote (1975)
South Coast (2008, feature-length documentary) Pictures of Lily (2013)
The Man Whose Mind Exploded (2014)
20,000 Days on Earth (2014)
Woman in Gold (2014)
[p18, col 2] Omdurman is in the Sudan, not South Africa. Whoops!
[p31] The number 14 on the map should be at the corresponding point on North Road, not Church Street. (Thanks, Roy!)
[p45, col 1] 1933 March 17: The photograph is the one to the right, not below left.
[p62, col 1] The building on the site of the Novelty Electric Theatre is Phoenix Building, not National House.
[p66, col 1] Pavilion Cinema, Portslade featured in the film Battle of the V1 shortly after it closed (not the Rothbury, see below).
[p70, col 2] Rothbury Cinema appeared in Lady Godiva Rides Again in 1950, not 1958. It was not the cinema in Battle of the V1 (see above).
[p119, col 2] The cinema used as a location in Battle of the V1 was the Pavilion Cinema, Portslade, not the Rothbury.
[p123, col 1] The Dark Man is a UK film, not US.
Page updated 10 September 2015
© David Fisher