Robert Atkinson's interior of the auditorium
Church Street, Brighton
operated c1910 to date
• The Prince Regent's riding stable, designed in 1804 by William Porden in 'hindoo' style that anticipated the Royal Pavilion. It became known as The Dome around the time the royal estate was acquired from Queen Victoria by the town. It was converted to a concert hall in 1867 and has been used for occasional film shows.
1910 Brighton Council instructs the Borough Surveyor to provide a fireproof box (cost £50) for 'the cinematograph apparatus'. A surcharge of 15s is made for hirings of the hall for film shows.
1926 February 1 Sussex Picturedromes Company, owner of the Duke of York's cinema, runs 'a special and exclusive presentation of the remarkable British film Livingstone, two exhibitions daily at 3 and 8 o'clock', tickets costing 1s, 1s 6d, 2s and 2s 6d, which was expensive at a time when the average admission charge was 9d.
1935 Remodelled by Robert Atkinson (see also Regent Cinema).
• The 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, won by Abba, was staged here.
• It has been used recently for occasional performances of classic silent films with live accompaniment.
Brighton cinema directory
< Previous | Next >
Return to previous page